UNIVERSAL DESIGN and AUDITS
In brief, Universal Design and Access (UDA) is an all-inclusive way in making buildings and services accessible to all. (ALL DISABILITIES ARE COVERED).
In other words, any service, policy, building, echo environment, facility, etc. must be designed in such a way that everyone (not only persons with disabilities) must be able to make use of the above at any time without the need of assistance, modifications or changes.
UDA looks at the realistic picture. It accepts the reality that the broader population comprises of people of different ages, heights, weights, language skills, abilities, etc.NCPD Universal Design leaflet
Reasonable accommodation refers to necessary and appropriate modification and adjustments, as well as assistive devices and technology, not imposing a situation, where needed in a particular case, to ensure persons with disabilities the enjoyment or exercise on an equal basis with others of all human rights and fundamental freedoms. Reasonable accommodation ensures that persons with disabilities enjoy, on an equal basis with others, all human rights and fundamental freedoms. The Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 (PEPUDA) includes ‘denial of reasonable accommodation’ as a form of unfair discrimination. We charge a once-off fee per person to assist with reasonable accommodation measures. We will also do two follow up sessions to see if the client is happy, or if there are any more adjustments or modifications required.
We offer this service to make sure that disability is included (In the correct way) throughout your various policies. If you already have a Disability Policy, we can also review the policy to make sure that it is inclusive and in line with the White Paper on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM AN ACCESS AUDIT
- An Access consultant will visit your facility to conduct the Access Audit
- The Access Audit will be done with minimum disruption to your daily operations
- We will request that the Facility Manager or relevant persons accommodate us while we are doing
- The audits will include photos, engagement with staff and measurements of the built environment
- A report with recommendations will be provided once the audit is complete
- The report will also include proposed changes
- We offer advisory services during the implementation stages of the recommended changes