The National Council of and for People
About The NCPD
The National Council of and for Persons with Disabilities (NCPD) is a leading disability organisation with 79 years’ experience in enabling, supporting and enhancing the quality of life for persons with disabilities. The NCPD strives to make South Africa a country where persons with disabilities have access to equal opportunities and rights. Our goal is to ensure that people with disabilities attain their full rights as citizens through:
- Advocating and facilitating inclusion, access and economic empowerment
- Contributing to and influencing Government policies
- Changing attitudes through sensitization and awareness programs
The NCPD follows a rights-based approach within the framework of the social and human rights models of disability in its services to and in respect of persons with disabilities.The NCPD is instrumental in the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the South African White Paper on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (WPRPD).
The National Council of and for Persons with Disabilities is a voluntary association. The National Council:
- Exists in its own right.
- Continues to exist even when its membership changes, its committees change, or there is change in office bearers.
- Is able to own property and intellectual property.
- Is able to encumber and/or alienate property and intellectual property.
- Is able to improve, manage, develop or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property and intellectual property rights.
- Is able to sue and be sued in its own name.