The National Council of and for Persons
Hearing impairment and deaf affairs
Realizing the lack of service providers in the field for persons who are deaf or hearing impaired using a spoken language, we have positioned ourselves to provide training and support for this marginalized group. Our work aligns with the and related South African legislation.
Hearing loss is a disability. The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities defines persons with disabilities as those who have long-term sensory impairments which in interaction with barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
The department hearing impairment and deaf affairs’ mission includes strategies to:
- Raise awareness throughout society, including at the family level, regarding persons with disabilities (including persons with hearing loss), and
- To foster respect for the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities.
- To combat stereotypes, prejudices and harmful practices relating to persons with disabilities.
- To promote awareness of the capabilities and contributions of persons with disabilities and to present training and development programmes as indicated below.
Our target groups:
Persons with disabilities & family members, government departments, municipalities, public entities, the private sector and civil society at large. We specifically support persons with disabling hearing loss who choose not to use a signed language to communicate (including their friends and family) regarding:
- Universal Design & Access Principles & Service in the workplace and society
- Rehabilitation & habilitation, including assistive listening & living devices for persons with hearing loss
- Access to employment
- Access to information & communication
- Assistive devices and technologies
- Advice on assistive devices & communication support in corporation with Edit Microsystems
- Access assessments of environments, programs, products & services
- Acoustics & noise control in cooperation with TMB Acoustics
- Hearing protection Mediation: Regarding the inclusion of persons with hearing loss in the workplace, educational institutions, etc. in Corporation with SAAA & IDA institute
- Hear screening for adults in co-operation with HearX Group
Promoting awareness-training programmes regarding persons with disabilities (including persons with hearing loss and their families)
The training programmes that we offer are available country wide as per Google Meet platform. The structures of Council are requested to make use of these development opportunities that are available (accredited as well as non- accredited)
The following training sessions are available:
Online training sessions on the WPRPD 2015 namely:
- 60 minute – Introductory; The White Paper on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (General public)
- 3 Hour follow-up – Advanced; The White Paper on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (General public) Accredited at HPCSA
- 90-minute follow-up – Minimum Standards for Reasonable Accommodation, as per WPRPD (General public)
Online training sessions on general content of disability (including hearing loss), namely:
- 2 Hour – How to reach full potential in the workplace despite hearing loss (General public) Accredited at HPCSA
- 2 Hour – Disability Rights Awareness, Report Writing and Dialogue & Mediation. (General public, but with a specific focus on HR-Managers, Supervisors, Social Workers, etc) Accredited at HPCSA
- The Protocol for Identifying the Functional Needs, Management and Reasonable Accommodation of Persons with Hearing loss – online via Calabash. (This is for Health Professionals in the field of hearing loss.) Accredited via Calabash
See link below;
- Tools for hearing care professionals https://idainstitute.com/tools/#.category-10,.category-11,.category-7,.category-6
- Tools for persons with hearing impairment https://idainstitute.com/tools/#.category-5,.category-4
- Laws and services in your country https://idainstitute.com/tools/managing_hearing_loss_at_work/local_resources/?no_cache=1#c29088